Here Comes the Sun: How to Protect your Home from Solar Radiation
Invisible to the naked eye, solar radiation can cause numerous problems from furniture fading to potential health problems. Fortunately, there are a number of solutions that can help you to reduce the amount of solar radiation entering your home.
This hardly comes as a revelation, but our windows and doors are 90% glass. Of course, frames make a difference and should not be ignored, but it is glass that makes us buy windows in the first place. Ironically, glass’ most important quality, its transparency can also cause problems: excessive solar radiation can damage furniture, raise air temperature, and most importantly it can harm you and the ones next to you. Just as you protect yourself with sunscreen and sunglasses before leaving your house, you should think about protecting yourself while staying in. This is particularly important in Eichler homes with their floor-to-ceiling windows and doors.
While there is no single answer to the solar radiation problem, at Eichler Solution we are proud to present a range of solutions of various complexity and across a wide price range.
• One of the simplest ways to protect your home against UV radiation is to apply a special film that leaves your windows transparent, while preventing ultraviolet rays from getting through.
• Plexiglas Storm Windows, while they help to insulate your windows, can also help to filter some of the UV radiation.
• One step up the technological scale from UV-protective film is special low emissivity (Low-E) coating which is applied to dual-glass windows and doors when they are made.
• Retractable sun screens are a perfect solution for those who want to keep solar radiation and insects out of their house.
• Another decorative solution does not affect your windows, but creates a shade by using rolling overhangs (awnings) and patio covers .
• Alternatively, there are rolling shutters that can cover your window from outside for UV-protection and privacy.
• Finally, the newest and the most exciting hi-tech solution is Smartglass, a special laminated glass can turn from clear to “frosted” or change its translucency with a single push of a button
As you can see, there is a number of way to fight and control solar radiation. Let us help you to find the right one for you and your home!
(Image: Danilo Rizzuti / FreeDigitalPhotos.net )